To create the perfect balance, think natural light, practical task lighting and feature lighting. In addition to spotlights or LED ceiling lighting you should consider; recessed downlighting, under-cabinet LEDs, and, of course, pendants. Pendant lights come in so many sizes and styles it can become overwhelming, however, they really are the best way to make a statement in a kitchen or open plan area and transform an ordinary kitchen into something extraordinary.
Follow my top tips to achieve the best kitchen lighting:
- For a shaker style kitchen select glass ball type with metal fixings to compliment the more traditional feel.
- If you have a modern streamlined kitchen then tubular styles repeat the minimalist feel with smooth lines, simplicity and brass fixings.
- The length of an island in your kitchen will dictate how many pendant lights will look best. Pendants should be placed at least 30-32 inches apart and 30-36 inches above the island, with at least six inches from edge of island.
- Odd numbers always look better than even!
- Go for warm bulbs to make your space warm and inviting, or bright white if you want to go for a minimalist, modern look.
- Use colours, crystals, and chandeliers for an extravagant look, don’t be afraid to go a little OTT.
- Why not think about clustering lights together or hang at different heights?
- Finally, if you have an open plan kitchen and dining set-up then make sure your lighting themes are consistent.
Focusing on the right pendant lighting will help you make the most of the light in your kitchen, create the wow factor and enjoy every meal from breakfast to those midnight snacks.